Sharing a quick and healthy lunch idea featuring collard green wraps that is easy to make and perfect for meal prep or lunch on the go.
Meal Prep Lunches
I have come to the realization that if I don’t have something prepared for lunch during the week that my lunch usually looks a little something like one of these –
- I skip it completely and then eat everything in site around 3pm
- Twenty minutes go by while I stand in front of the open fridge just staring at the contents wishing some type of meal would appear
- I end up eating a hodgepodge of stuff – sliced cheese, leftovers, a random handful of nuts, chips, crackers, any everything else carb related I can find in the pantry
Taking Inspiration from My Friends
If you caught my Instagram Stories on Wednesday, you’ll see that I made a delicious curry chicken salad from Lively Table.
I’ve made a bunch of Kaleigh’s recipes from Lively Table before and they have always turned out amazing.
This Curry Chicken Salad is no exception.
I tried to make a double batch so that I could have leftovers the next day, but I loved it so much that I ate it all in one sitting. Sorry, not sorry.
Quick and Healthy Lunch Idea
This Chicken Salad is amazing for so many reasons –
- Easy to make with a handful of ingredients
- The coconut flavored yogurt is a genius way to get that coconut curry flavor
- Doesn’t take very long to make
- Makes great leftovers
- Can be enjoyed a variety of ways: sandwich, wrap, lettuce wrap, on crackers, etc
I chose to wrap mine using collard greens and it was DELICIOUS!
Tips for Making Collard Green Wraps
I love the idea of lettuce wraps as a healthy lunch idea but in reality, I find that they just don’t work. The lettuce always breaks and falls apart or the sauce from whatever is wrapped inside of it seeps out of the lettuce. Talk about a mess.
I recently discovered the amazingness that is Collard Greens. They are like huge lettuce leaves but strong enough to hold up to wraps. Collard greens are a Cruciferous Vegetable, strongly recommended as part of a Mediterranean Inspired Diet.
Read more about How to Start A Mediterranean Diet here.
They are a great addition to a healthy lifestyle due to their levels of folate, calcium, dietary fiber, and vitamins E, A, K, and C
I’ve found the following tips to be helpful when using collard greens as wraps for sandwiches –
- Using a paring knife, carefully shave down the center stem of each collard green leaf
- To aid in folding without breaking, lightly rinse the collard green under cold water and then place in a frying pan over medium heat on the stove for 30-45 seconds to soften
Lively Table’s Coconut Curry Chicken Salad Recipe
Looking for more healthy lunch ideas…
Try some of these healthy lunch ideas this week –