eat meals harvested near residence, take pleasure in recent & tasty ontario bounty all 12 months spherical.
Do you know that over 40% of all produce obtainable in Canada is imported, together with vegetables and fruit that develop in Canada¹?!
So as a substitute of shopping for produce that has traveled 1000’s of miles, why not spend our cash on meals which were grown regionally, are tastier, brisker and profit our provincial financial system?
After we purchase native meals, we’re supporting native growers and sustainable farming practices; we eat meals which are higher for us, the atmosphere, and extra importantly our style buds! All that good things whereas we assist cut back meals miles (due to this fact air pollution) and packaging waste.
At RFRK, sourcing native, sustainably grown meals has at all times been a precedence.
We care in regards to the high quality of our meals and the place it comes from, and we all know you do too!
Nurturing good relationships with our suppliers additionally means higher traceability. It permits for transparency alongside the worth chain from “farm to fork” and allows us to know the place our meals come from, how they have been farmed and transported, what goes into them, and who performs what position alongside the way in which.
Partnering with trusted native producer companions allows us to create merchandise with particular elements and dietary guardrails which are aligned with our mission, values, and promise.
From vegetables and fruit to cheese curds, granola, natural turkey, beef, yogurt, and extra!
Youngsters can dig into native meals year-round!
In a nutshell*, that is why we select regionally and sustainably grown meals, and why you need to too:
- They’re brisker, better-tasting, longer-lasting, and extra nutritious
- They protect agricultural land and open areas
- They assist maintain a various, resilient meals system and encourages new generations to begin farming
- They preserve our cash within the native financial system, serving to to keep up sturdy native communities
- After we know our farmers, we all know the place our meals comes from and the way it was produced
*RFRK is nut-free, the one nuts we use are in weblog submit idioms!
After all, on the subject of regionally produced items, we’re not the one ones on the desk… With over 3,000 meals and beverage processing companies in Ontario, our provincial agri-food sector is an enormous financial drive, producing greater than $63 billion in annual sales².
There’s so much happening to make sure that meals and regionally made merchandise are accessible to households all through Ontario. Actually, The Ontario Greenbelt has established the Native Meals Funding Fund for farmers and producers. By offering investments to gasoline sustainable agriculture, extra native meals will get onto individuals’s plates.
Greenbelt Fund grants assist improve:
- market entry for farmers
- the quantity of native meals bought by establishments like hospitals and universities
- meals literacy and consciousness
how we are able to all help sustainable & regionally grown meals
At RFRK, we do our greatest to offer your little ones with native produce and merchandise all through our seasonal menus, however having fun with native meals doesn’t have to finish there. Listed here are enjoyable methods for your loved ones to take pleasure in Ontario meals all 12 months spherical:
- Present love for all issues grown and made in Ontario throughout Native Meals Week (yearly throughout the first week of June): Plenty of seasonal fruits and veggies like cherries, rhubarb, cucumber, mushrooms, lettuce, peas, radish, candy potatoes, and extra are on the peak of freshness! Go to your native farmer’s market, select Ontario grown meals at your neighbourhood grocery store, prepare dinner scrumptious meals (search for the Foodland brand) and eat out at certainly one of over 100 Feast ON eating places.
- Uncover the bounty of Ontario:Take a chew out of Ontario Tourism by way of guided farm excursions, winery visits, and weekend getaways within the countryside. The Culinary Tourism Alliance is a good useful resource for planning your subsequent household journey!
- Decide up groceries at your native Farmer’s’ Market: It’s simple to buy regionally grown meals because of the accessibility of Ontario grown and made merchandise. Whether or not you reside in downtown Toronto or a small neighborhood outdoors of the massive metropolis, the Toronto Farmer’s Markets Community and Farmers’ Markets Ontario are useful web sites for finding a market near you!
- Determine what’s in season:Everyone knows that good issues develop in Ontario however if you wish to make sure you’re getting our province’s freshest and tastiest produce, browse the Foodland Ontario Availability Information. Their web site has tons of recipes and diet information too!
- Grow to be a CSA member: Group Supported Agriculture (CSA) is a simple means for households to instantly entry and help nutritious farm merchandise. Seasonal orders are sometimes delivered weekly to a handy pick-up location and embody merchandise like recent produce, eggs, cheese, and poultry. Try the Ontario CSA Farm Listing for farm info and merchandise availability.
- Be taught extra about the advantages of the Ontario Greenbelt:Ontario’s Good Fortune report gives an up to date evaluation of the worth of pure capital in Ontario’s Greenbelt area. It additionally reveals the way you instantly profit from this protected agricultural land and inexperienced house.
How does your loved ones help native meals?